Jared Acquaro is the brains behind A Poor Man’s Millions – the fashion and lifestyle blog every Rugged Yet Smooth gent needs to follow.
On his site, Jared shares his views on style, colour palettes, fit, mixing patterns, and more. Its goal is to show that “men don’t need to spend a lot of money to look a million dollars” – great words to live by!
Jared’s is a Menswear Consultant and Brand Builder, and has worked with such major names as Paul Evans NY, Sol Beer, LG Australia, Oscar Hunt Tailors, East Dane, Hermen Menswear, and more.
Being a chap who follows one strict rule – “knowledge is everything” – Jared has no end of advice to offer we gents, and so, to help you get your grooming routine down to a fine art, we chatted with the man himself …
Grooming, Step By Step
To start with, Jared highlights the importance of having a set grooming routine: get into the habit of tending to your looks and refining your style on a daily basis, and it becomes second nature.
Jared’s is pretty simple, yet obviously effective.
1) “Whilst having my morning shower, I will wash my hair, beard, and moustache.”
2) “Next up, I comb my hair into the style I’m after for the day, and let it dry. If I don’t have much time, I’ll use a hair dryer in the same way.”
3) “After my facial hair’s dried enough, I’ll comb it and then apply oil – and then comb again.”
4) “Then, I use a balm or wax to take control, as facial hair can be unruly. I appply hair product at this stage too, not forgetting to wash my hands in-between products!
5) “Next is to style using a comb and brush for facial hair. I like to use a wide-toothed comb for everything – including my hair styling (hands give the best character to hair styles, though). Finally, I finish my hair with a little hair spray (especially on windy days).”
It’s a simple routine, but it covers all the angles.
A Higher Level of Care
Next, what advice can Jared give to the average guy on how to take better care of ourselves?
“Don’t overdo it on the products, and never use a lot. I’ve made the mistake of using too much oil, and other than shining bright, you get it everywhere.
“If you’re going to use a moustache wax, don’t put oil in it first. The wax will clump up and make you look like you have dandruff.
“Comb the product through your hair, and style with a brush. When it comes to your hair style, brushing your hair into the style you want whilst it’s wet will help you in the end!”
What to Look for on the Shelf
There are plenty of male grooming products out there – which does Jared recommend?
“This is a hard one, as many products nowadays are the same, just a different name and smell. However, The Bearded Chap has some great products; their beard wash is, in my eyes, the best on the market (although it’s not new), but Fatboy hair products would be my go-to. They’re simple yet innovative, easy to use, and wash out with water. They have a new product called Sea Salt Pomade, which gives amazing texture whilst styling like a normal pomade.”
“If there are any new innovative products, then I definitely want to know about them!”
Last but not least, what’s the most underrated grooming product going around at the moment?
“A hand brush. Not your typical-style hair brush with a handle – I’m talking about the classic oval-shaped ones. I take it with me everywhere I go.”
Well, that’s it from Jared Acquaro: there’s lots to sink your metaphorical teeth into. Give his tips a go to take your grooming routine to the next level, and head on over to his blog for more advice.
Have you tried any of Jared’s techniques or recommended products? If so, let us know! Keep Smooth!